Strength, confidence, endurance, motivation! If you know these words, you are already part of this addictive world of sport. Every day more and more of us are committed to a healthy lifestyle and train our body and mind.
And the fact is that exercise has already become a routine in the daily lives of many people. In fact, in recent years has been gaining more followers thanks to the ease of being able to perform functional exercises where and when you want, as training plans that we offer in Body and Mind with new sports techniques that have been emerging.
The world of functional training and fitness has been evolving and in Body and Mind we have been adapting to new generations implementing dynamic exercises with ropes or kettleball, among other exercise tables.
After the success of CrossFit or BootCamps, comes a new training that is already triumphing internationally and that combines the typical CrossFit exercises, adding an extra incentive, the competition. Do you know Hyrox?
Hyrox, the combination of running and workouts
After the success of the famous Spartan Race or similar challenges, Hyrox arrives, a new fitness race that combines 8 kilometers of running with 8 workouts or typical CrossFit training exercises.
This new discipline of functional training that combines cardio with pure strength and endurance work, was born in 2018 in Hamburg and one of the great reasons why it has triumphed internationally is because this practice is done indoors, so it can be practiced at any time of the year, regardless of the weather.
This is an international competition, and all the races follow the same format: a one-kilometer interval run and a functional workout, repeated eight times. That is, in total, eight kilometers of running and eight functional workouts. Sounds easy, doesn’t it?
These are the workouts you’ll face in the Hyrox competition:
- Ski Erg: 1000 meters on this typical CrossFit apparatus that simulates the skiing motion, where you’ll test the strength and endurance of your abs, legs, glutes, triceps, hip and dorsal.
- Sled Push: 50 meters pushing this type of sled with different weights depending on the category in which you participate, from 75 to 175 kg.
- Sled Pull: another 50 meters, but this time pulling the sled with an additional weight of 50 to 125 kg.
- Burpee Broad Jumps: and here come the dreaded burpees. 80 meters of jumps where you will test the resistance of your lower body and work your quads, hamstrings, calves and glutes. All this after 4 kilometers of running. Let’s go!
- Rowing: after an intense first part, we relax our body a little with 1000 meters of rowing.
- Farmers Carry: we return to the weights, this time with a short 200-meter run carrying with us a weight in each hand of between 16 and 32 kg.
- Sandbag Lunges: we continue working with weights, this time we will carry a sandbag, between 10 and 30 kg, on our back, and we will walk 100 meters taking a step forward and bending our knees, like this during the whole course.
- Wall Balls: and to finish, we will throw a medicine ball towards a wall, performing between 75 and 100 repetitions. A perfect exercise to end the competition and release all the accumulated stress and fatigue.
This is a piece of cake, isn’t it? Although it may seem like a lot of exercises that require a lot of effort and physical strength, the truth is that it is a test accessible to everyone, since the exercises are very simple, as long as you have a minimum of physical fitness.
How to prepare for a Hyrox
Are you ready to participate in the first fitness competition for everyone? At Body and Mind we train you to get you up to speed and ready to compete in a Hyrox.
We can’t promise that we won’t leave you with your tongue hanging out, but we are sure that during the preparation and the competition, in addition to improving your athletic level, we will make you enjoy every workout.
During the sessions we will prepare both the endurance part, so that you can endure without problems the 8 kilometers of race, and each and every one of the workouts, which you will see that they do not require a complex technique, because they are natural movements combined with added weights, but it is necessary to perform them correctly to avoid injury.
Anyone over 16 years of age can participate in a Hyrox event and, as we have said, it is recommended that you have a minimum physical level and do sports activities on a regular basis.
The categories are divided into singles, pro and doubles, as well as by age range and gender.
Do not be afraid of new challenges, because in Body and Mind we prepare you to face everything you propose, and 98% of the participants in this competition finish the race, as long as they have a previous training.
Of course, depending on how prepared you are it will take you more or less time to complete the race, the average time for a Hyrox finisher is 1:30 hours. But if you don’t feel 100% capable, you can always compete in pairs and share the workouts to make the test less hard for you.
The best athletes from around the world qualify for the World Championship of Fitness Hyrox, where they will face each other in an international event.
Do you want to be one of those qualified athletes? Do you dare to try this new form of training and competition? If you live in Mallorca, contact Body and Mind and we will prepare you to compete in the next events that will take place next year in Mallorca completing the 8 kilometers race and the 8 workouts finishing Hyrox in record time. Come on!